How to Import a Motorcycle to Canada from the USA

Exporting a motorcycle from the United States to Canada can be a challenging process. Simply crossing the 49th parallel is no longer enough, as both the US and Canadian governments have imposed regulations on the export and import of motorcycles. Without a proper understanding of the rules and documentation procedures, navigating this process can be difficult. It is highly recommended to seek the assistance of a professional motorcycle shipping company like us to guide you through the process.

Unfortunately, there is no single website that fully explains the requirements and procedures involved in this process. However, our motorcycle shipping company can provide you with some guidelines on how to export a motorcycle from the US to Canada.

US Customs and Border Protection (USCBP)

US Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) is responsible for ensuring that exports comply with US regulations at the border. To meet USCBP requirements, you need to submit the US title at least 72 hours prior to exporting through the appropriate border crossing. It’s important to note that different border crossings have different submission requirements. For example, if you’re exporting through Blaine, WA, you’ll need to email a worksheet, a copy of the title, and the bill of sale to them. On the other hand, if you’re exporting through Port Huron, MI, you’ll only need to email them the VIN number and vehicle description.

U.S. Census Bureau

In addition to submitting the title, the U.S. Census Bureau has introduced new export reporting requirements under the Foreign Trade Regulations, effective April 5, 2014. This means that you must file export information through the Automated Export System (AES) and obtain a Census ITN number. This number must be presented to USCBP at the port of export.

Once USCBP is satisfied that you have met all the export procedures, they will stamp your title (remember to bring the original title). Then, you can proceed with dealing with the Canadian bureaucracy.

Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV)

Transport Canada, through the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV), is responsible for determining whether vehicles can be imported into Canada. To find out if your motorcycle is eligible for import, you should review RIV’s admissibility list before importing it. If your motorcycle is not admissible, it will not be allowed into Canada. We recommend you check RIV’s list here.

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

Assuming your motorcycle is admissible, you will need to pay taxes to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) based on the declared value of your motorcycle. Once you have paid the fee, you will receive a Form 1, and you will need to order a Form 2 from the RIV. These documents will be necessary to register your motorcycle in Canada.

After crossing the border, you are free to enjoy your newly acquired motorcycle. However, to save yourself the hassle next time, it is highly recommended to hire a professional motorcycle shipping company. We are an expert in navigating the complex import/export procedures and the fees are well worth the convenience. Request your quote to receive our competitive rate.

Final Thoughts

Shipping a motorcycle from the USA to Canada can be a complex process, but with the right information and resources, it can be done successfully. By understanding the import/export regulations and requirements, as well as working with a reputable motorcycle shipping company, you can ensure that your motorcycle is transported safely and efficiently. Be sure to do your research and compare quotes from different shipping companies to find the best deal for your needs. For more help, AA Motorcycles is here to guide you through the thrills of riding your motorcycle in Canada without any complications or delays.

4 thoughts on “How to Import a Motorcycle to Canada from the USA”

  1. I just last week paid for a new bike located in Wa state. I was planning to go pick it up in January. I made a similar purchase a few years ago and it went very well so I thought all would be well now also. But now I see the new bike is not permitted by Transport Canada. It’s a brand new, un-ridden motorcycle. What the heck can I do?

Leave a Comment